• Welcome to The Big Nickel Forums.

News:

Please read The Big Nickel News and Updates for specifics about forum updates.

Main Menu

Site Appears Dated; There Is A Reason For That

Started by jpwillisnitz, March 06, 2014, 06:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpwillisnitz

Got the email about the phishing email today, thought I'd check in and see what was happening. Seems like a lot of dead space between entries here, but after a second or so of thought the reason becomes apparent: Like our old ship, we are all either getting close to gone or gone already. I'm pushing seventy, and reunions and that sort of thing simply ain't happening for me, unless we throw a big party somewhere in Charleston, SC.

I need to check my profile as I'm not sure if my real name and all ain't there, but anyways, while not a plank-owner I came aboard in '63, served through the Mixed-Manned thing and left the ship in '67.

A few years back I came across a picture of the old CVR in the latter stages of being scrapped and it tugged at the old heart. We steamed a lot of miles, stood a lot of watches, pulled a lot of liberties and drank just a few lethal concoctions in some of the more exotic dens of dissipation scattered across the planet.

Just the other day, at the VA, they had me on one of those tilting MRI contraptions, and the young lady asked if that was too much movement for me; I told her no, I'd rode destroyers in the North Atlantic, I'd be alright.

And I was. Y'all take care.