• Welcome to The Big Nickel Forums.

News:

Please read The Big Nickel News and Updates for specifics about forum updates.

Main Menu

DDG Commanding Officer and Crew Commeration & Hull Plate #5

Started by CaptainKirk, October 06, 2009, 06:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainKirk

Greetings shipmates,

If you haven't visited the web site lately, there are a couple of things happening that relate to the effort to save and restore the USS Charles F. Adams DDG-2.

Firstly is a special Adams Class Commanding Officer and DDG Crew Veterans Commemoration coming up the first of November.  If you're in the area or even if you're not and are interested in attending, you can get more information by going to the high-lighted page above on the web site.  You'll have to hurry though since reservations need to be in by October 22 to receive the event discounts.

Secondly is the ongoing fundraiser to sponsor the hull plate number 5 of the USS Charles F. Adams as a tribute to the USS Biddle DDG-5 and the USS Claude V. Ricketts DDG-5.  The full sponsorship is $2500.  As of this email, $900 has already been donated towards that goal and I'm hoped that you will get on board and make a donation.

Additionally, for those that aren't aware, the original classification of our ship was to be DD-955 until the classification was changed to DDG-5 in April of 1957, two years before her keel was laid.  Given that we are able to sponsor hull place #5, there is a plan in place to also sponsor hull plate #955.

On a personal note, I'm very proud of the time I spent on board the USS Claude V. Ricketts as I'm sure all of you are, whether you served on board when she was the USS Biddle or the USS Claude V. Ricketts.  I would love to see our ships memory kept alive in the form of the USS Charles F. Addams DDG-2.  So I'm asking that if you can, please make a donation towards this sponsorship by visiting The Big Nickel Hull Plate Sponsorship page.

Thank you all for your support.

Kirk "VJ" Neuman
 Webmaster/Owner of The Big Nickel