• Welcome to The Big Nickel Forums.

News:

Please read The Big Nickel News and Updates for specifics about forum updates.

Main Menu

Is anybody out there?

Started by John Snyder, November 10, 2008, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Snyder

:D

Greeting fellow Ricketteeers, I'm glad to see this new site. I hope that more and more of us find our way here.

Every time I drive thru Philadelphia on I-95 I cross over a bridge adjacent to the Phila Naval Shipyard where the inactive fleet is moored.

I can see a variety of familiar shapes; oilers, tenders, LPH's etc. They look gray and forlorn rafted together, as if they know their fate.

Off to one side, lately, is a little trio of tin cans. One of them is the Charles Adams. It's been over thirty years since I rode the Ricketts but with the short glimpse I can safely afford at highway speed I can conjure  the memory of sunnier days in foreign ports with Ricketts in full dress,  signal flags strung from the mast to bow and stern.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I don't have much of it for many things but the couple years I spent in the Ricketts crew have left me with so many sea stories I have friends who can tell them like they own them.

Fair winds and following seas to all.

CaptainKirk

Welcome aboard bab bam.  I'm hoping that the forums will become a little more popular as time goes by.  I'm always mucking around with the site, trying to improve it and add more information as I find it or receive it from other shipmates.  Let me know if there's something you'd like to see on the site.

Captain Kirk

(One of these days I'll get a signature together for myself  :) )