• Welcome to The Big Nickel Forums.

News:

Please read The Big Nickel News and Updates for specifics about forum updates.

Main Menu

Request permission to come aboard, Sir.

Started by Michael Dolan, November 23, 2008, 07:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dolan

Hello Shipmates,
     Wow! It's been 36 years since I walked down the gangway of the Old Claude V. for the last time. I had joined the Navy to fulfill my military obligation. I did my four and got out, looking to catch up on the civilian life I missed so badly. Lots of things happened in that first year back in civilian life. I met the girl who has been my wife for 35 years and joined the workforce as a salesman for Sears and Roebuck. It was not my calling. My wife noticed an ad in the Help Wanted section of the local newspaper from the local Electric Company, looking for workers at a new Power Plant that was being built. I thought to myself; I know about steam boilers, pumps and turbines. Could they possibly have those in this power plant? So, I applied and got the job, thanks to the training and experience I had gotten on that ship. I'm still working in a Power Plant, making superheated steam, turning the blades of the turbines and cranking out power. I owe a lot to the Navy and that beautiful ship, the USS Claude V. Ricketts DDG 5. Hopefully, we'll get an opportunity to go aboard her sister, the former Charles F. Adams DDG 2 someday soon.
Bravo 2 Aye
Midrats

CaptainKirk

Permission granted Midrats and welcome aboard.  I noticed you have posted lots of pictures and welcome them.  The more the merrier.  I continue to work on the site and welcome any contributions.

Peter R Batt

Quote from: CaptainKirk on November 23, 2008, 09:57:51 AM
Permission granted Midrats and welcome aboard.  I noticed you have posted lots of pictures and welcome them.  The more the merrier.  I continue to work on the site and welcome any contributions.
Pictures? Can't find them. Love to see them.